Saturday 16 June 2012

Part 1: Changing Tastes?

Have been feeling concerned that I am losing focus, that my blog has evolved more into descriptions of beers, rather than the adventure and the learning process. One thing in particular, that concerns me is that I might becoming a bit of a beer snob.

Earlier this week I blogged about Saltaire Brewery, after trying a few beers including their Raspberry Blonde. Before beginning the ticking challenge, for many years fruit beers have been high on my drinking agenda. One, that I'd have fairly regularly for a bit of a treat was Bacchus Frambozenbier, usually from Morrisons.

Before even buying it, I was filled with doubts about liking it. I'm wondering if it will be too sweet, too artificial. I want to like it. I want to like all the beers I try, appreciate them all for their individuality. Liking it is important too, to validate my pre-ticking self's drink of choice. The pressure is on.

68: Bacchus Frambozenbier, Van Honsebrouk, 5%
Dark in colour, but not opaque and with a pinkish tint. Raspberry smell and flavour. There is very little bitterness, but there is a sour flavour. It is sweet. Initially it seems only a little, but with another mouthful, the sweetness builds. However, the further down the glass, the more moreish it becomes. It's not particularly beery, in my opinion. That may be due to the style of beer, rather than overpowering raspberry flavours, but I think this will be a good one for me to test out on my non-beer drinking sibling, and get their take on it!

My pondering about this beer is about how naturally was it produced. The label says the beer is made with 12.5% raspberries, but also has added sugar and sweeter. I hold more esteem for beers that are produced using only water, malt, hops and yeast, as the alchemy behind making special beers just using these four ingredients must be incredibly sophisticated. Having said that, my final verdict, is that I am pleased to say I enjoyed the bottle very much, and I would choose it again. My pre-ticking self breathes a sigh of relief.

2 comments:

  1. Hullo

    A lot of the Belgian beers have added sugar though, so I wouldn't worry about that too much in a beer of that style... Sweetener on the other hand, not so usual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- as my other half keeps reminding me, I haven't even begun to think about Belgian Beers yet... that will be a whole new chapter for me to learn about! Luckily will kick start it with a visit there later in the year.

    ReplyDelete